Wednesday 21 July 2010

Snails reproducing on the doorstep



This morning I was surprised to see two snails locked together as they reproduced. The photo clearly shows the tube of each snail entwined. They stayed in the position for a number of hours before moving slowly away in different directions.


This reminds me of the time I found two slugs reproducing. That photo is not on this blog so I will search my files and add it at a later date.


Meanwhile, the garden is blooming with huge amounts of day lilies, Hostas, Hebe and fuchsia's attaching lots of bees into the garden.


Vegetable-wise the dwarf beans have been producing a handful of beans every other day. The peas and runner beans are just starting to flower and so a harvest should not be far away.


The two leeks that have been growing since last year bolted a few months ago. I left them to see what would develop and as the photo shows they have bloomed into beautiful circular flowerheads.


The flowering leeks have also been great at attracting bees. I am trying to grow leeks again this year and so far four are growing well. I am also trying spring onions growing them all together in a large deep container.
The garlic is look good too. I had a sneaky peek at a couple of the bulbs today. They still need some time to develop fully but so far so good.

No comments: